Saturday, June 21, 2008

Sherperd Pie

A few weeks ago, I was thinking of making sherperd pie but babe was having his first gout attack in more than a year. So, had to scrap the idea since the base of the sherperd pie is either mince beef or lamb. Some how I don't think chicken sherperd pie will taste the same at all. I was sharing with RK about this and she came up with the brilliant idea of making it instead. Of course, she had to call me SIFU first before I was willing to pass down my secret recipe to her! (LOL!).

Anyway, I teased RK mercilessly that she knew her MIL (mother-in-law) will be in town for a few days and staying with them, and hence, wanted to impressed her by making sherperd pie! She of course deny and say the reason is because she will be taking a long leave to take care of the son while her mom who is also nanny, take a vacation. She say she will be bored because nothing to do at home and since she just inherited a oven from her sister (her sister got a new oven and so gave her old one to RK. Hei, RK, anytime your sister want to off-load any of her second hand, I am most willing to take it off her hand!LOL)

Anyway, she promised me lots of photos and so, I am leaching it from her to put in my blog so that I can share my recipe to the world now (and nope, you don't have to call me SIFU. Only RK need to. But if you want to pay me royalty, I won't say no!) OK Ok, on with the recipe. For the recipe, I will cheat some and use readily available pasta sauce instead of making from scratch. The sauce are damn cheap now anyways.

What?
1 bottle of Prego tomato based pasta sauce (You can use any brand of course so long as it is tomato based)
2 stalk of celery -diced
1 stick of carrot - diced
2-3 Fresh tomatoes - cubed
3-4 cloves of garlic - chopped
beef - 450g (follow the weight recommended on the ready-made pasta sauce)
Cheddar cheese -grated (for topping. Grate it finely like those dessicated coconut)
1kg Potatoes - boiled & mashed with butter (250gm)

How?
1. Boil the potatoes and mashed it with butter. Leave aside to cool.
2. In a wok, heat up some oil.
3. Add in garlic and stir till golden brown
4. Add in pasta paste, beef, celery and carrot.
5. Leave the mixture to boil and simmer for a few minutes until the beef is cooked.
6. Add in the cubed tomatoes.
7. Turn off the fire and leave to cool.
8. Pour mixture into a baking tray and fully cover the beef mixture with mashed potatoes.
9. Sprinkle the grated Parmesan cheese on top.
10. Put the tray carefully into the oven.
11. Bake at 250-300 degrees for about 10-15minutes or until the cheese is golden color.

DONE!!! When you eat it, be careful because it will be hot! Of course, the beef mixture is actually similar to the one used for pasta or spaghetti sauce and it can be use for that purpose! So, pictures from RK to share. Go try them! If you love the spaghetti sauce and mashed potatoes, you will love this dish! Trust me! I think RK was already thinking of making her second batch!



The cheese is supposed to be grated finely but I guessed I forgotten to tell her that (blush!)

Bottom layer is the beef mixture, topped with mashed potato

No comments: